Does CogTool sometimes use GOMS-KLM timings?

Forums Forums Using CogTool Does CogTool sometimes use GOMS-KLM timings?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    CogTool User
    Participant

I’m sorry if this is obvious to others but I cannot find this information anywhere. I know that CogTool uses Fitts Law to estimate the time a user would need to point to a target, but what about other actions? For example, homing of hands on the keyboard, does CogTool take the value of 0.4s from GOMS-KLM for that?

BonnieJohn-admin

CogTool uses ACT-R under the hood to approximate KLM. So the timings are a very similar, but not exactly the KLM timings.

You can always find out what time an operation takes by making a small CogTool storyboard, demonstrate the action you want to see, and then look at the visualization of the model. For example, if you want to see how long homing is, make a storyboard with a button and a keyboard, then demonstrate clicking on the button and then typing something on the right side of the keyboard. Computer the script then look at the visualization and you will see a red right-hand movement after the click and before the typing, which is the homing. Over over that homing box in the timeline and it will show yoiu the duration of the operator. Click on it, and yoiu can see the whole ACT-R trace that does that action.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.